Our Top 5: Beauty hacks for over 40s
There’s so much to celebrate when we hit our 40s. But when it comes to the way we look, there are things we can’t take for granted as we used to. Fantastic skin without really taking care of it, a glowing complexion despite lying in the sun without applying cream first and that unbelievable metabolism regardless of exercise. Ah, to be in our twenties again!
On the makeup front, we are probably all in agreeance that the bright blue eyeshadow and doll-like blusher we wore at age 22 isn’t likely to flatter us now.
So, we start to pay that little bit more attention to our skincare, makeup and clothing choices – choosing styles that will flatter and accentuate our natural features. With this in mind, here are our top 5 makeup tips and tricks for over 40s.
Prep and prime
It’s all about the base! Our golden rule for mature skin is to never apply your foundation straight to naked skin.
1. Skincare is everything as you get older. If you neglected your skin in your 20s, you’ll know about it by the time you hit your 40s! Follow the three simple rules of ‘cleanse, tone, moisturise’ and add in an eye cream to keep the delicate skin under your eyes hydrated – this will help later on when applying your concealer and will stop creasing (especially around fine lines).
2. Foundation should always be applied to clean skin after moisturiser has been really worked into the skin, alongside a hydrating primer based on your skin type. When you do apply your foundation, choose one with an inbuilt SPF to protect your skin regardless of how brisk the weather is outside.
Glowy, healthy skin is in
Mature skin becomes drier as we age- so it’s important to focus on the skin when you are applying your makeup, aiming for dewy rather than a matte look.
1. Try mixing a drop or two of liquid illuminator to your foundation for even dewier, highlighted look.
2. Avoid matte powders and invest in cream and liquid products. This will ensure your bronzers and blushers don’t settle into fine lines and emphasise any wrinkles you might have.
3. Always keep blusher high on the cheekbones in order to lift and enhance your natural features with a pretty pop of colour – if your blusher is too low on the face then it can drag the face down.
Think red carpet, not Instagram
When we are in our 40s and 50s, the most flattering makeup styles are soft and youthful rather than following Instagram beauty trends like baking powder to set a heavy-duty contour.
1. Contour should be soft. Apply your contour to where the sun would naturally hit your face, along your temples, carve out your cheekbones, down the neck and to subtly define the jawline – you can also add powder down the nose to give a slimmer appearance
2. Don’t religiously copy the contour placement of your favourite beauty guru or MUA. Everyone’s facial architecture is different which means what might work for one person won’t necessarily work for someone else.
It’s all about the eyes…
Eyes don’t age! After the base, we would recommend really focusing on the eyes when creating any day or night-time makeup look.
1. Invest in an eyelash curler – clamp down and hold for at least 5 seconds and coat your lashes with a good quality black mascara which can really open your eyes and create that gorgeous doe-eyed look.
2. To disguise dark circles, use a liquid concealer, opting for a formula which will look radiant and brighten the undereye area – and be sure not to overdo it on powder when setting.
Last but not least, don’t forget your brows
Much like boobs, brows are sisters and not twins so it’s okay for one brow to be shaped differently to the other.
1. Our top tip is to use an angled eyeliner brush and a gel-based brow product to subtly fill in the gaps and add definition where it’s needed. Make sure that that the most product is in the middle of the brows and not to add any new product to the brush to the start of the brows to keep it as subtle as possible.
2. Then add highlight to the browbone with a pencil brush – after all, a naturally arched brow can lift the brows and create a more youthful look.
If you’re looking for a longer-lasting fix than makeup can offer, come and see us for a free consultation with our medical aesthetics experts– we can put together a personalised treatment plan which can specifically address your anti-ageing concerns. We offer a wide range of treatments including line & wrinkle smoothing, dermal fillers and non-surgical PDO thread lifts which can all turn back the clock to create a more youthful look.
Related Blog Posts
Find out about the latest news, opinions and updates from Transform and the cosmetics industry.