Our top 8 pumpkin beauty hacks
Alternative ways to use pumpkin
Pumpkin spice is the ultimate Autumn ingredient- making its way into our weekly Starbucks fix, scenting our homes with candles and even flavouring our newest liquid lipstick. It’s got us wondering what else you can infuse with pumpkin spiced goodness.
But the humble pumpkin has much more to offer than spiced lattes aplenty. Besides a whole host of nutritional benefits, pumpkins are also packed with vitamins and antioxidants- making it an ideal beauty product for your skin, hair and nails.
So, do like your Pinterest board and treat yourself to a cosy night of warm jumpers, hot chocolate with toasted marshmallows and enjoy whipping up our thrifty pumpkin beauty ideas! Here are just some homemade treats that you can create using the leftover flesh of a pumpkin:
- Face mask
- Foot scrub
- Lip scrub
- Hair conditioner
- Natural nail treatment
Here are the top beauty benefits of pumpkins:
1. Natural moisturiser – pumpkin can soothe and soften the skin and can be used to create gorgeously creamy body butters or in-shower moisturiser (just add coconut oil), or as a simple pick-me-up for your complexion.
2. Acne fighter – as it’s naturally high in Vitamin, A and C- pumpkins are great news for sensitive skin! Don’t believe us? Just take a look at the number of dermatologically tested skincare products which cite pumpkin seeds as a miracle ingredient for fighting redness and irritation.
3. Fresh face mask – pumpkins are rich in antioxidants, particularly beta-carotene which gives it its glorious orange colour. Beta-carotene is also found in peppers, carrots and other colourful orange-red fresh fruits- so why not add these to your mash-up? Beta-carotene is converted into Vitamin A by the body – and is known to give the skin a healthy, golden glow!
4. Prepping your toes – with Black Friday and Christmas shopping on the way, we are all looking for a thrifty way to look groomed and gorgeous without breaking the bank. Pumpkins are a natural exfoliator, so can be used as a cheap alternative to your usual salon pedicure by whipping up a no-frills foot scrub. Simply add natural yoghurt, honey, sugar and olive oil to your pureed pumpkin bits and you’re good to go.
5. Summer skin healer – pumpkin helps to combat the natural signs of ageing by repairing the effects of UV damage. The enzymes inside them are packed with vitamin C, which is a powerful antioxidant as well as containing all-important beta-carotene which helps to reverse UV damage and improve skin texture by promoting the production of collagen.
6. Plumping your pout – using pumpkin as a lip scrub is perhaps our favourite, tried and tested beauty hack at this time of year. Especially when our lips are feeling particularly dry and are in need of some TLC! To create the lip scrub, all you need to do is add brown sugar and olive oil to your leftover pumpkin puree to exfoliate your lips, just be sure to use a gentle touch when exfoliating as rubbing too vigorously can make them feel sore and chapped.
7. Restoring dull and lifeless hair – pumpkins are full of vitamins and minerals such as potassium which can stimulate hair growth, as well as can improving the health of your locks. Lather on for a deep conditioning hair mask and repeat once a week to restore life to dry and damaged hair.
8. Strengthening your nails – and finally, don’t forget your fingers and toes! Vitamin E, C and the mineral zinc which are naturally found in pumpkins help to strengthen nails and promote nail growth – perfect if you are taking a break from acrylics or gels and your nails need a little loving care.
If you are looking for a deep skin treatment, come and see one of our skin experts or aestheticians for an in-depth skin analysis and personalised treatment plan.
Related Blog Posts
Find out about the latest news, opinions and updates from Transform and the cosmetics industry.